The contract for the environmental remediation of the former mining area of Bica, which included the adjacent mining areas of Val d’Arca, Pedreiros, Carrasca and Coitos, consisted of the following main activities:
- Concentration and sealing of sources of pollution in chemical and radiological terms, reducing the presence and dispersion of the contaminants;
- Ensuring the safety and improving the quality of life of the population;
- Modelling of the land and drainage of the spoil heaps or their treatment with suitable soils, providing a reduction in the risk of contamination and allowing the development of vegetation;
- Repopulation of native flora and fauna;
- Restoration of watercourses previously affected and the restoration of the quality of the water that drains into those watercourses;
- Cleaning and treatment of contaminated areas, enabling the use of the soil under suitable conditions;
- Creating of separators and elements to deter contact with areas of risk in terms the endangerment of people and animals (shafts and/or the mine entrance and other points of contact with the galleries).
This contract was awarded to Socopul – Sociedade de Construções e Obras SA / MT3 – Engenharia e Obras, Lda for € 2,194,775.53 and had a duration of 540 days.
The investment was co-financed by the Cohesion Fund and allowed the proper treatment of mine waters that flow from the gallery of Master Shaft no 2, thereby reducing the radiometric levels and preventing the seepage of surface water into the spoil heap materials and subsequent hydraulic dispersion of contamination to adjacent areas.