This environmental remediation work consisted of two phases with the following main activities:
- Earthworks, reprofiling/forming of the entire intervention area;
- Construction of trenches around the spoil heaps to collect clean water from the Terramonte stream;
- Construction of ditches for drainage of the slope pit and dissipation;
- Surface treatment of formed spoil heaps, with the placement of a waterproofing complex, a protective layer for the dump, topsoil and landscaping;
- Installation of a wastewater monitoring and control system with continuous data processing.
The two contracts were awarded to Construtora Abrantina, S.A. for € 1,201,579.30 and had a total duration of 92 days.
The investment was co-financed by the Northern Regional Operational Programme under the Third Community Support Framework, enabling a reduction in the levels of contamination in the Terramonte and Castanheira streams and the Douro river, an increase in the safety and stability of embankments, improved water quality in the medium to long term and improvements in the local landscape.