Under the contract, the following main activities were carried out:
- Sealing of shafts and chimneys;
- Dismantling of old structures and buildings and eventual removal to the confined disposal site at Quinta do Bispo;
- Geotechnical consolidation of materials deposited in the former surface pit;
- Removal of the spoil heap (2,000 m³) and respective controlled disposal in the area of the former pit;
- Removal of other spoil heaps/existing former dumps (31,800 m³), respective controlled disposal and forming at local landfill area (former pit area) or transport to the confined disposal site at Quinta do Bispo;
- Sealing of the local landfill area (former pit area);
- Construction of drainage systems and rehabilitation of the landscape of the area.
This contract was awarded to the consortium Jeremias de Macedo & Cia / MT3 – Engenharia e Obras, Lda for € 1,844,715.73 (incl. VAT) and had a duration of 365 days.
The investment was co-financed by the Cohesion Fund and allowed the environmental liabilities resulting from mining at this location to be resolved, bringing benefits to local populations through the improvement of current conditions and use of the areas reclaimed for other ends.