The environmental remediation work at the Murçós mining area consisted of the following main activities:
- Tailings Dam
- Protection of the mouth of the drainage well;
- Cleaning/drainage of sludge and scattered debris;
- Forming/containment of sludge.
- Pits 1, 2 and 3
- Cleaning of debris adjacent to the pit;
- Adjustment of embankments with safety steps and proper inclination;
- Maintenance of the respective lakes and recreation of conditions for the development of macrophytes (Typha and Juncus).
- Pit 4
- Filling of slopes with spoil heaps;
- Moulding of slopes;
- Protective fencing.
- Demolition of structures and buildings in ruins for pit no 4.
This contract was awarded to MT3 – Engenharia e Obras, Lda for € 374,151.55 and had a duration of 180 days.
The investment made was co-financed by the Northern Regional Operational Programme under the Third Community Support Framework and enabled the creation of full conditions to allow people to safely use the space circumscribed by the mining area, almost completely reducing its environmental impact and creating a pleasant space for leisure duly integrated into the local environment.