The environmental remediation work at the Forte Velho mine, included in that of the Prado Velho and Barracão Former Radium Factory, consisted of the following main activities:
- Demolition and debris removal from the former buildings and lixiviation floors for confined disposal;
- Removal of spoil heaps to the confined disposal site;
- Cleaning and removal of contaminated surface materials to the confined disposal site at Prado Velho;
- Capping and enclosure of mine shafts and galleries;
- Forming of the area and landscaping.
This contract was awarded to Oliveiras Empreiteiros, SA for € 3,159,628.58 (including Prado Velho and the Former Barracão Radium Factory) and had a duration of 238 days.
The investment in this intervention was co-financed by the Cohesion Fund and enabled the objectives proposed for these former mining areas to be achieved, including a reduction in risks to safety, environmental and radiological risks, while simultaneously improving the surrounding landscape, as well as recovering areas that had been rendered unusable by the disposal of tailings associated with the mining operations, and which may now be used for other purposes.