The environmental remediation works of this former mining area consist of the following main activities:
- Cleaning and removal of materials from the mine, depositing them in a controlled manner at a suitable site in order to prevent their spread and protect the surrounding water environment;
- Construction of peripheral fencing, erection of appropriate signage and establishment of restrictions on use of the fenced off areas;
- Lining with layers of stable drainage ground, of a defined thickness, capable of preventing the scattering of the spoil heap deposits due to wind erosion and dislodging of sediment;
- Slope stabilization through surface forming of the landfills;
- Implementation of an internal perimeter surface drainage system;
- Landscaping of the area involving the adjustment of the modelling of the landfills to the morphology of the site and also the execution of herbaceous and tree and shrub cover using species compatible with the natural conditions and with the remaining environmental rehabilitation actions;
- Implementation of an environmental maintenance, monitoring and control plan.
This contract was awarded to Irmãos Almeida Cabral, Lda for € 454,450.98 and had a duration of 243 days.
The investments made were co-financed by the Thematic Operational Programme for Territorial Enhancement (POVT) under the NSRF, and allowed the environmental liabilities resulting from mining at this location to be resolved, bringing benefits to local populations through the improvement of current conditions and use of the areas reclaimed for other ends.