The environmental remediation work on the former mining area of Vale d’Arca, included in that of Bica, Carrasca, Coitos and Pedreiros, consisted of the following main activities:
- Demolition and debris removal from the former buildings and lixiviation floors for confined disposal;
- Removal of spoil heaps to the confined disposal site;
- Cleaning and removal of contaminated surface materials to the confined disposal site;
- Capping and enclosure of mine shafts and galleries on the hillside;
- Forming of the area and landscaping.
This contract was awarded to Socopul – Sociedade de Construções e Obras SA / MT3 – Engenharia e Obras, Lda for € 2,194,775.53 and had a duration of 540 days.
The investment was co-financed by the Cohesion Fund and enabled sources of contamination of the soil to be eliminated through the removal of contaminated residues and the sealing of the mining structures, greatly improving the landscape of the valley, with a consequent increase in the quality of life of adjacent populations.