The environmental remediation contract of Coitos, included in that of Bica, Carrasca, Pedreiros and Vale d’Arca, consisted of the following main activities:
- Concentration and sealing of sources of pollution in chemical and radiological terms, reducing the presence and dispersion of the contaminants;
- Ensuring the safety and improving the quality of life of the population;
- Forming of the land and drainage of the spoil heaps or their treatment with suitable soils, providing a reduction in the risk of contamination and allowing the development of vegetation;
- Promoting the repopulation of native flora and fauna;
- Restoration of watercourses previously affected and the restoration of the quality of the water that drains into those watercourses;
- Cleaning and treatment of contaminated areas, enabling the use of the soil under suitable conditions;
- Creating of separators and elements to deter contact with areas of risk in terms the endangerment of people and animals (shafts and/or the mine entrance and other points of contact with the galleries).
This contract was awarded to Socopul – Sociedade de Construções e Obras SA / MT3 – Engenharia e Obras, Lda for € 2,194,775.53 and had a duration of 540 days.
The investment was co-financed by the Cohesion Fund and enabled sources of contamination of the soil to be eliminated through the removal of contaminated residues and the sealing of the mining structures, greatly improving the landscape of the valley, with a consequent increase in the quality of life of adjacent populations.